Thursday, February 16, 2006

Are Cruise Ships safe?

The various news services have made cruise ship "disappearances" their story of the moment. I've seen and heard many different versions of the case du jour, the George Smith disappearance.
Personally, I feel for Mrs. Smith and the family of George Smith, even though 've got some mis-givings on the story from both sides.

However, let's deal with the question, are cruise ships safe? My response is going to be, relative to what? Personally, I feel extremely safe on a cruise ship, but not carelessly so.

tourists ( not travelers), have a tendency to allow themselves to be carried away with the experience of vacation, while assuming someone else is handling their safety. Folks, that is a losing proposition anywhere. Whether it be the high seas, Cancun, Aruba or your Town, USA.

The point I want to make is, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put yourself in a potentially unsafe situation. Especially in an unfamiliar environment. Would Mr. and Mrs. Smith gone to Mardi Gras on their Honeymoon, partied separately, gotten drunk separately, and passed out on Bourbon Street? Doubtful.
People have a tenency to let down their guard when they are on a cruise. That's one of the reasons it's so fun, because people put aside their normal facade. But just remember, there are 3000 people on the typical cruise ship that you've never met.

While 2999 may be great people, it only takes one for you to become a victim.

When my wife and I go cruising, we now take small walkie talkies so we can be in contact. I love to watch the sun rise over the ocean, so I rise early. However, she always knows what part of the ship I'm going to, when I left and when I'm going to return.

Use the same common sense you would use if you were on a land based vacation in a strange city.

'Nuff said.

Book your cruiseor get information here

No comments: